Definition of hybridize in English:
1 [with object] Crossbreed (individuals of two different species or varieties).
- Growers began to hybridize these native species with other varieties imported to Hawaii, which produced the huge kaleidoscope of colors and sizes available today.
- A lot of the common large-flowering varieties were hybridized after 1940 in England and the Netherlands.
- The following varieties were hybridized at the end of 1900, but they are still the most popular.
1.1 [no object] (Of an animal or plant) breed with an individual of another species or variety.
- About 200,000 years ago, at nearly the same time that modern humans originated in Africa, two diploid grass species hybridized to form polyploid wheat in the Middle East.
- Rather than gradually adapt to a new host plant, the flies hybridized.
- However, species may hybridize long after speciation, which may pose problems in phylogenetic reconstruction, especially when molecular data are used.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan