- A shrub or climbing plant with rounded or flattened flowering heads of small florets, the outer ones of which are typically infertile. Hydrangeas are native to Asia and America.
More example sentences
- Genus Hydrangea, family Hydrangeaceae: many species, in particular late (or panicled) hydrangea (H. paniculata), an ornamental shrub that blooms in late summer, and bigleaf hydrangea (H. macrophylla), commonly grown for florists and as a houseplant
- Or, let a climbing hydrangea blur the rigid lines of a stucco wall.
- A climbing hydrangea, honeysuckle and cotoneaster behaved in similar fashion until their third year, when they all finally took off.
- With the shortage of good all-summer plants, hydrangeas deserve a spot in everyone's garden.
modern Latin, from Greek hudro- 'water' + angeion 'vessel' (from the cup shape of its seed capsule).
More definitions of hydrangeaDefinition of hydrangea in:
- The British & World English dictionary