- The forcing open of fissures in subterranean rocks by introducing liquid at high pressure, especially to extract oil or gas.More example sentences
- This process, which is analogous to hydraulic fracturing, causes the rock mass to dilate.
- Progressive intrusion and hydraulic fracturing gave rise to local brecciation of the banded rocks.
- The technique involves drilling several metres below the casing shoe, and then pumping drilling mud into the well while monitoring the surface pump pressure for indications of hydraulic fracturing.
More definitions of hydraulic fracturingDefinition of hydraulic fracturing in:
- The British & World English dictionary