A coelenterate of an order that includes the hydras. They are distinguished by the dominance of the polyp phase.
- Order Hydroida, class Hydrozoa
- Aside from its temporary and permanently resident fish, the underside is decorated with sponges, hydroids, tunicates, tube worms, cup corals and anemones.
- There were dense walls of soft corals, sponges, anemones and hydroids, nudibranchs, creepy-crawlies and lots of fish.
- On the walls are a riot of soft corals, sponges, hydroids and anemones in all shapes and sizes.
1Relating to coelenterates of the hydroid group.
- He had shown that hydroid jellyfish known as naked-eyed medusae reproduce not only by spewing eggs, but also by asexual budding, which he found marvelous to behold.
- The hydroid tissues, in particular, are the general run of moss water storage cells and are probably only remotely related to the xylem of tracheophytes.
- Before long, similar green proteins were detected in many bioluminescent coelenterates including various medusae, apparently all luminescent hydroid polyps, and a few others.
1.1 another term for polypoid (sense 1).
Definition of hydroid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.