Having a tendency to mix with, dissolve in, or be wetted by water. The opposite of hydrophobic.
- Since the phosphate group is water soluble, this part of the molecule tends to be hydrophilic.
- This phenomenon may be explained by the fact that ethanol molecules have a hydrophilic tail.
- The presence of a hydrophilic solvent such as water is needed to maintain a discoidal lipid/protein structure.
- Example sentences
- Physical chemical properties were polar requirement, hydrophilicity, molecular weight, and volume.
- The lack of activity of methylene blue when injected intravenously or intravesically may result from poor tumor localization because of its high hydrophilicity.
- This is because of their unique biological inertness, which is considered to result from hydrophilicity and chain mobility as well as lack of ionic charges.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of hydrophilic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.