Relating to or denoting the equilibrium of liquids and the pressure exerted by liquid at rest.
- This is best achieved by a constant hydrostatic pressure exerted by the fluid itself.
- Plants used for measuring osmotic water flow were also employed to measure hydraulic conductivity of root systems in the presence of hydrostatic pressure gradients.
- In operation, hydrostatic head pressure forces stormwater flow into the housing where primary separation of insoluble contaminants occurs.
- Example sentences
- The above configuration leads to a hydrostatical compensation of the pressing force exerted by the medium.
- Achievements include his calculations on the area of the surface of a sphere, geometrical analysis of statical and hydrostatical problems and the use of statics in geometry.
- He made improvements in the gearing of mills and in the scoop wheel that lifted the water; these improvements were supported by reference to his hydrostatical theories.
- Example sentences
- Also powered hydrostatically tillers can draw up to 50 or 60 horsepower.
- The nucleus eventually no longer acts hydrostatically, thus the annulus and endplate are exposed to high point stresses which might lead to the cracks and fissures seen in degenerate discs.
- All testing must be done hydrostatically for a minimum of 30 seconds at 750 psi and be labeled to indicate date of test and tester identification.
Late 17th century: probably from Greek hudrostatēs 'hydrostatic balance', from hudro- 'water' + statikos (see static).
Words that rhyme with hydrostaticachromatic, acrobatic, Adriatic, aerobatic, anagrammatic, aquatic, aristocratic, aromatic, asthmatic, athematic, attic, autocratic, automatic, axiomatic, bureaucratic, charismatic, chromatic, cinematic, climatic, dalmatic, democratic, diagrammatic, diaphragmatic, diplomatic, dogmatic, dramatic, ecstatic, emblematic, emphatic, enigmatic, epigrammatic, erratic, fanatic, hepatic, hieratic, hypostatic, idiomatic, idiosyncratic, isochromatic, lymphatic, melodramatic, meritocratic, miasmatic, monochromatic, monocratic, monogrammatic, numismatic, operatic, panchromatic, pancreatic, paradigmatic, phlegmatic, photostatic, piratic, plutocratic, pneumatic, polychromatic, pragmatic, prelatic, prismatic, problematic, programmatic, psychosomatic, quadratic, rheumatic, schematic, schismatic, sciatic, semi-automatic, Socratic, somatic, static, stigmatic, sub-aquatic, sylvatic, symptomatic, systematic, technocratic, thematic, theocratic, thermostatic, traumatic
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of hydrostatic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.