noun[as modifier] Chemistry
- Of or denoting the radical —OH, present in alcohols and many other organic compounds: a hydroxyl groupMore example sentences
- Phenols are a subgroup of alcohol in which the hydroxyl groups are attached directly to the carbon atoms of a ring structure.
- The carbonyl group can be broken down by the action of hydrogen cyanide; a hydroxyl group and a nitrile group are formed in this reaction.
- In the atmosphere the hydroxyl radicals oxidise nitrates to form ozone.
More definitions of hydroxylDefinition of hydroxyl in:
- The British & World English dictionary