Definition of hydrozoan in English:
A coelenterate of the class Hydrozoa, such as a hydra or Portuguese man-of-war.
- The difference between most hydrozoans and most scyphozoans is that in hydrozoans, the polyp stage usually predominates, with the medusa small or sometimes absent.
- There are three subgroups within the cnidarians that have medusae, cubozoans, hydrozoans, and scyphozoans.
- Scyphozoan medusae differ from those of hydrozoans in lacking a velum.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting hydrozoans.
- Getting hooked up with an animal like Donax seemed a very clever trick of hydrozoan evolution.
- Many hydrozoan species perform large vertical diel migrations, which may bring individuals together in spawning aggregations.
- The pinnacle of hydrozoan colonial complexity can be found in members of the Family Siphonophora.
Definition of hydrozoan in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia