Definition of hylomorphism in English:
The doctrine that physical objects result from the combination of matter and form.
- One might therefore expect universal hylomorphism to be the doctrine that all substances consist of forms in matter.
- In applying his general hylomorphism to soul-body relations, Aristotle contends that the following general analogy obtains.
- Nor does Dietrich wish to distinguish God from creatures by postulating a theory of universal hylomorphism.
- Example sentences
- They are hylomorphic compounds - compounds of matter and form - and the subject criterion looks rather different from the hylomorphic perspective.
- We noted in discussing Aristotle's hylomorphic analysis of change generally that his account requires the existence of suitably disposed subjects of change.
- To sum up, the city-state is a hylomorphic compound of a particular population in a given territory (material cause) and a constitution (formal cause).
Definition of hylomorphism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan