Definition of hymnographer in English:
A writer of hymns.
- Monks, and occasionally nuns, were among the most famous liturgical hymnographers.
- Used by 4th-century Syrian hymnographers, contrafacta were also written by the later authors of the Byzantine kontakion.
- Joseph the Poet and Hymnographer is the most prolific hymnographer in the history of Orthodox Christianity.
early 17th century: from Greek humnographos, from humnos 'hymn' + graphos 'writer'.
- Example sentences
- Fr. Rutler's views on liturgical music and hymnography are a reflection of his lifelong service to the Lord.
- This book will be completely accessible to the uninitiated, and a wealth of hymnography for the established cantor.
- Roman law and Roman legal practice enriched the system of images of Byzantine hymnography.
Definition of hymnographer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India