noun (plural hypanthia /-THēə/)Botany
- A cuplike or tubular enlargement of the receptacle of a flower, loosely surrounding the gynoecium or united with it.More example sentences
- The hypanthium is usually glabrous, with narrowly triangular sepals that are pubescent adaxially and are deciduous in fruit.
- I removed the anthers from a single flower on each marked branch before dehiscence and marked the base of the hypanthium with a spot of paint.
- The styles were then removed from each flower just above the point of emergence from the hypanthium and passed to the evaluator.
More definitions of hypanthiumDefinition of hypanthium in:
- The British & World English dictionary