Definition of hyperborean in English:
1.1 (Hyperborean) Greek Mythology A member of a race worshiping Apollo and living in a land of sunshine and plenty beyond the north wind.
- He is cast or casts himself on a pyre, but is miraculously saved by Apollo and translated to the land of the Hyperboreans.
- The Scythians and the Hyperboreans (sometimes the Aethiopians) were the noble savages of the Ancients.
- This island is inhabited by the Hyperboreans there is also on the island a magnificent sacred precinct of Apollo.
adjectiveBack to top
Of or relating to the extreme north.
- Its grid plan, zoned districts and splendid Nevsky Prospect created a strange kind of hyperborean vertigo in those who contemplated it.
- After hearing a glopping sound hit the snow covered ground, Hugh's skinless face begins scanning the hyperborean terrain for his epidermal layer.
- The streets are quite chilled, inside my head is brisk at best and the beat, well, the beat is positively hyperborean.
Definition of hyperborean in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan