Definition of hyperborean in English:
1.1 (Hyperborean) Greek Mythology A member of a race worshiping Apollo and living in a land of sunshine and plenty beyond the north wind.
- He is cast or casts himself on a pyre, but is miraculously saved by Apollo and translated to the land of the Hyperboreans.
- The Scythians and the Hyperboreans (sometimes the Aethiopians) were the noble savages of the Ancients.
- This island is inhabited by the Hyperboreans there is also on the island a magnificent sacred precinct of Apollo.
adjectiveBack to top
Of or relating to the extreme north.
- Its grid plan, zoned districts and splendid Nevsky Prospect created a strange kind of hyperborean vertigo in those who contemplated it.
- After hearing a glopping sound hit the snow covered ground, Hugh's skinless face begins scanning the hyperborean terrain for his epidermal layer.
- The streets are quite chilled, inside my head is brisk at best and the beat, well, the beat is positively hyperborean.
Definition of hyperborean in:
- British & World English dictionary