Definition of hyperemia in English:
An excess of blood in the vessels supplying an organ or other part of the body.
- The physician thoroughly examines the esophagus for signs of inflammation, hyperemia, ulcerations, or strictures.
- However, in a pilot study, the instrument successfully measured reactive hyperemia following pressure in healthy volunteers.
- Heat should not be applied to an acutely injured ankle joint because it encourages swelling and inflammation through hyperemia.
- Example sentences
- The slightly edematous and hyperemic appendix was removed by laparoscopic surgery.
- The researchers also noted that following training there was a reduced reactive hyperemic flow (blood flow after cuff deflation).
- The lungs were hyperemic and the alveolar spaces distended by neutrophils-morphologically very similar to early bacterial pneumonia.
Definition of hyperemia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan