- The action of marrying a person of a superior caste or class.More example sentences
- Family connections help here, and hypergamy (marriage into a higher class) for both men and women is very important.
- All these strata tend to be endogamous or, in the south, observe the marital rule of hypergamy.
- Hockings and Merchant collaborate in the final essay to examine hypergamy and hypogamy in pre-modern Kerala.
late 19th century: from hyper- 'above' + Greek gamos 'marriage'.
More definitions of hypergamyDefinition of hypergamy in:
- The British & World English dictionary