- A substance found in St. John’s wort, credited with chemical and pharmacological properties similar to those of antidepressants.
More example sentences
- A polycyclic quinone; chemical formula: C30H14O8
- St.John's Wort contains hypericin, which inhibits monoamine oxidase, a chemical associated with depression.
- The antitumor properties of St. John's wort are attributed to hypericin, which is a powerful photosensitizer.
- Today, St. John's wort standardized to 0.3% hypericin easily outsells its pharmaceutical rival, Prozac, and its derivatives.
early 20th century: from hypericum 'a yellow-flowered plant' + -in, chemical suffix.
More definitions of hypericinDefinition of hypericin in:
- The British & World English dictionary