The condition of having a body temperature greatly above normal.
- Dantrolene is used to treat malignant hyperthermia, a condition that bears striking clinical resemblance to NMS.
- Furthermore, the use of hypothermia blankets is associated with large temperature fluctuations and rebound hyperthermia.
- In some cases, hyperthermia (high body temperature) and convulsions can lead to death, according to NIDA.
- Example sentences
- Heart rate, cardiac output, and minute ventilation increase under hyperthermic conditions, while visceral perfusion decreases.
- Based on these findings, irrigation fluids should approximate body temperature to avoid hypothermic or hyperthermic injury.
- She had become increasingly hyperthermic throughout the night.
Late 19th century: from hyper- 'beyond' + Greek thermē 'heat'.
Words that rhyme with hyperthermiaHermia, hypothermia
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of hyperthermia in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.