A diminished capacity for physical sensation, especially of the skin.
- Individuals with autonomic neuropathy also may experience paresthesia, allodynia and hypesthesia.
- Typical symptoms are pain, paresthesia, hypesthesia, or numbness in the median nerve distribution of the hand.
- Axillary nerve injury is most common and is associated with decreased active contraction of the deltoid muscle and hypesthesia over deltoid.
- Example sentences
- The next day she was unable to overhand serve and the following day she awoke with a swollen, discolored, hypesthetic right upper extremity.
- The [petitioner] is hypesthetic on the dorsal aspect of the small finger and the ulnar half of the ring finger.
- If the corneal sensitivity gets to the point where the patient becomes hypesthetic, a neurotrophic ulcer develops.
Late 19th century: from hypo- 'below' + Greek aisthēsis 'sensation'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of hypesthesia in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.