- 1The underground focus point of an earthquake. Compare with epicenter.More example sentences
- The Richter scale measures the amount of seismic energy released from the hypocenter of the earthquake; it is not used to express damage.
- Magnitude is a measure of the energy released by a quake at its hypocenter, the point underground where movement first occurs along a fault.
- Only two small communities are located within 100 km of the hypocenter (which this bulletin says is 10 km underground, not 5).
- 2 another term for ground zero.