Behaving in a way that suggests one has higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case: we don’t go to church and we thought it would be hypocritical to have him christened it would be entirely hypocritical of me to say I regret it, because I don’t
More example sentences
- To begrudge them the right to choose their own government via the ballot box is hypocritical in the extreme.
- The lack of transparency contributes to the cynicism and hypocritical views.
- So the Congress sometimes rakes up the issue of secularism, which is so hypocritical that it is funny.
- More example sentences
- Indeed, you engage in precisely this sort of rhetoric yourself while hypocritically decrying the heated rhetoric of the left.
- More hypocritically still, Missing pursued an abortive licensing agreement with a skateboard company to use his anarchist icon.
- The yellow press will harp on it, hypocritically.