Definition of hypoparathyroidism in English:
Diminished concentration of parathyroid hormone in the blood, which causes deficiencies of calcium and phosphorus compounds in the blood and results in muscular spasms.
- Doniach postulated that Addison's disease, thyrotoxicosis, myxoedema, pernicious anaemia, and hypoparathyroidism might have the same aetiology.
- However, this patient had no clinical evidence of either hyperparathyroidism or hypoparathyroidism.
- Past medical history was remarkable for congenital hypoparathyroidism and seizure disorder related to hypocalcemia.
- Example sentences
- Of perhaps greater consequence, the study concluded that the current method of treating hypoparathyroid patients fails to restore well-being and mood.
- This patient was hypoparathyroid and thus lacked the parathyroid hormone dependent renal production of 1,25-dihyroxyvitamin D.
- Although the four parathyroid glands are close to the thyroid gland, neither hypoparathyroid nor hyperparathyroid are thyroid disorders.
Definition of hypoparathyroidism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.