Definition of hypophysis in English:
noun (plural hypophyses /-ˌsēz/)Anatomy
Technical term for pituitary.
- As an example, the beta cell of the anterior lobe of the hypophysis secretes adrenocorticotropic hormone.
- The internal carotid artery supplies blood to the middle ear, brain, hypophysis, orbit, and choroid plexus of the lateral ventricle.
- This gland, also termed the hypophysis cerebri, lies in a bony cavity, the sella turcica, so called because it was thought to resemble a Turkish saddle.
- Example sentences
- An embryonic remnant, it opens in the hypophyseal fossa, traversing the sphenoid body.
- There were also anastomoses with the superior hypophyseal artery.
- The hypophyseal fossa is filled with sediment.
Pronunciation: /ˌhīpəˈfizēəl, hīˌpäfəˈsēəl/(also hypophysial) adjective
Definition of hypophysis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan