noun (plural hypophyses /-ˌsēz/)Anatomy
Technical term for pituitary.
More example sentences
- As an example, the beta cell of the anterior lobe of the hypophysis secretes adrenocorticotropic hormone.
- The internal carotid artery supplies blood to the middle ear, brain, hypophysis, orbit, and choroid plexus of the lateral ventricle.
- This gland, also termed the hypophysis cerebri, lies in a bony cavity, the sella turcica, so called because it was thought to resemble a Turkish saddle.
- More example sentences
- An embryonic remnant, it opens in the hypophyseal fossa, traversing the sphenoid body.
- There were also anastomoses with the superior hypophyseal artery.
- The hypophyseal fossa is filled with sediment.
Pronunciation: /ˌhīpəˈfizēəl, hīˌpäfəˈsēəl/(also hypophysial) adjective
Definition of hypophysis in:
- The British & World English dictionary