noun (plural hypothalami /-ˌmī/)Anatomy
- A region of the forebrain below the thalamus that coordinates both the autonomic nervous system and the activity of the pituitary, controlling body temperature, thirst, hunger, and other homeostatic systems, and involved in sleep and emotional activity.More example sentences
- The brain also links with endocrine gland chemical messengers through the hypothalamus and pituitary gland.
- The central structure of the brain contains the thalamus, hypothalamus, and pituitary gland.
- Normally the hypothalamus coordinates the activity of the pituitary gland through the secretion of peptides and amines.
- More example sentences
- And oestriol is a measure of the function of the hypothalamic pituitary adrenal axis, or the HPA axis in the foetus.
- Amygdaloid nuclei and the hypothalamic structures are known to have intimate functional relationships.
- Common nervous system manifestations include facial palsies, and hypothalamic and pituitary lesions.
More definitions of hypothalamusDefinition of hypothalamus in:
- The British & World English dictionary