Definition of hypothesis in English:
noun (plural hypotheses-ˌsēz)
1A supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation: professional astronomers attacked him for popularizing an unconfirmed hypothesis
More example sentences
- The only thing you can do is say the evidence suggests that the hypothesis is true.
- Well, everyone comes at an investigation with certain hypotheses or certain biases.
- All you will ever have is circumstantial evidence and an un-falsifiable hypothesis.
1.1 Philosophy A proposition made as a basis for reasoning, without any assumption of its truth.
- Popper consistently has opposed the appeal to inductive arguments to justify hypotheses.
- In what way could the hypothesis that McFadden's process is consciousness be falsified?
- This allows a test of the hypothesis that central tendency determines typicality.
Words that rhyme with hypothesisprothesis
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan