Definition of hypoxanthine in English:
A compound that is an intermediate in the metabolism of purines in animals and occurs in plant tissues.
- Alternative name: 6-hydroxypurine; chemical formula: C5H4N4O
- The deamination product of adenine is hypoxanthine, and hypoxanthine base pairs with cytosine rather than thymine.
- Nitrosative deamination of cytosine and adenine results in uracil and hypoxanthine, respectively.
- Adenine is converted to hypoxanthine at 2-3% of the rate of cytosine deamination.
Definition of hypoxanthine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.