Definition of hyracotherium in English:
The earliest fossil ancestor of the horse. It was a small forest animal of the Eocene epoch, with four toes on the front feet and three on the back. Also called eohippus.
- Genus Hyracotherium, family Equidae
- The hyracotherium was a small fox-sized four-toed creature, similar to the modern day hyrax.
- Scientists now believe that the hyracotherium ate meat and lived in the forest.
- A close look at the teeth of hyracotherium, reveals a simple pattern of bumps and ridges on their chewing surfaces.
Definition of hyracotherium in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan