Definition of hyracotherium in English:
The earliest fossil ancestor of the horse. It was a small forest animal of the Eocene epoch, with four toes on the front feet and three on the back. Also called eohippus.
- Genus Hyracotherium, family Equidae
- The hyracotherium was a small fox-sized four-toed creature, similar to the modern day hyrax.
- Scientists now believe that the hyracotherium ate meat and lived in the forest.
- A close look at the teeth of hyracotherium, reveals a simple pattern of bumps and ridges on their chewing surfaces.
Definition of hyracotherium in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.