Definition of hyssop in English:
1A small bushy aromatic plant of the mint family, the bitter minty leaves of which are used in cooking and herbal medicine.
- Hyssopus officinalis, family Labiatae
- Herbs you can use in the bath are bay leaf, chamomile, hyssop, lemon balm and lime flowers.
- Sweet Annie, anise hyssop, and feverfew make good fillers.
- They come for the butterfly weed, lilacs, echinacea and anise hyssop, and especially for the white, lavender and pink butterfly bushes.
2(In biblical use) a wild shrub of uncertain identity whose twigs were used for sprinkling in ancient Jewish rites of purification.
- The hyssop is a lowly shrub; and God must stoop low to smell the incense of Calvary.
- The cedar tree is the highest of all the trees, and the hyssop is the lowest.
- Cleanse my hidden mind with the hyssop of your grace, for I draw near to the Holy of Holies of your mysteries.
Definition of hyssop in:
- British & World English dictionary