- The phenomenon in which the value of a physical property lags behind changes in the effect causing it, as for instance when magnetic induction lags behind the magnetizing force.More example sentences
- This tendency to ‘remember their magnetic history’ is called hysteresis.
- A hysteresis in the force curves measured on approach and separation is observed.
- A noncontact, no-wear design eliminates hysteresis and friction for reliability and repeatability.
late 19th century: from Greek husterēsis 'shortcoming, deficiency', from husterein 'be behind', from husteros 'late'.
More definitions of hysteresisDefinition of hysteresis in:
- The British & World English dictionary