noun (plural ibexes)
A wild goat with long, thick ridged horns and a beard, found in the mountains of the Alps, Pyrenees, central Asia, and Ethiopia.
- Genus Capra, family Bovidae: the widespread C. ibex, and the Spanish ibex (C. pyrenaica) of the Pyrenees
More example sentences
- If you are lucky you may see an ibex, or wild mountain goat.
- At the top is an Ovis Amman, then two markhoors (wild goats), an ibex, and two Tibetan antelope.
- Most of the panels include motifs of animals, principally aurochs, horse, ibex, and red deer.
early 17th century: from Latin.
Definition of ibex in:
- The British & World English dictionary