Definition of icebreaker in English:
1A ship designed for breaking a channel through ice.
- Later this month he will fly to Uruguay, and from there catch an ice-breaker ship to the base.
- It is named Arctic because it is an ice-breaker used in Arctic seas.
- There was a Russian ice-breaker tour, with tickets costing around $40,000.
1.1A thing that serves to relieve inhibitions or tension between people, or start a conversation.
- Also, team-building activities can be much different than ice-breakers - which do you really want?
- It's a good ice-breaker with people; we talk to them, and it's a little more personable.
- The mock editorial board worked well at Columbia as an ice-breaker to start the day.
1.2A thing that breaks up moving ice so as to lessen its impact, especially a structure protecting the upstream end of a bridge pier.
- The Yenisey binds the territory together on its 1,800-mile passage north to the Kara Sea, where icebreakers help keep open the northern shipping route.
- The team will use three icebreakers as it tries to take cores from the Lomonosov Ridge between Siberia and Greenland.
- At that time the Antarctic Programme was stationed in Lyttelton and he could watch the US Coastguard vessels, icebreakers and helicopters.
Words that rhyme with icebreakerjawbreaker
Definition of icebreaker in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India