Definition of icefall in English:
1A steep part of a glacier that looks like a frozen waterfall.
- The glaciers, the icefalls, the three summits - we can see none of it.
- For us a serac is a big block or pinnacle of ice sticking up in the middle of the feature of a glacier called an icefall.
- Check out that smooth sunrise turning all the pointy peaks and deadly icefalls a soft, deceiving pink.
2A fall of loose ice; an avalanche of ice.
- This is usually attributed to objective dangers - unpredictable acts of God, such as avalanches, icefalls, rockfall, and horrid weather.
- Dozens of icefalls (ice avalanches) now occur per day all around us.
- Just as long as you don't forget that, in the end, it's not lightning or rapids, avalanches or equipment, rockslides or icefalls that are going to get you.
Words that rhyme with icefallrainfall • windfall • pitfall
Definition of icefall in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan