(also Iceland lichen)
Definition of Iceland moss in English:
A brown, branching lichen with stiff spines along the margins of the fronds, growing in mountain and moorland habitats. It can be boiled to produce an edible jelly.
- Cetraria islandica, order Parmeliales
- The two lichens of economic importance are Iceland moss, Cetraria islandica, and reindeer moss, Cladonia rangiferina.
- On our moss-covered trails, mats of shrubby gray reindeer lichen and Iceland lichen are common.
- In excessive doses or with prolonged use, Iceland moss can cause gastric irritation and liver problems.
Definition of Iceland moss in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.