Definition of icing in English:
1A mixture of sugar with liquid or butter, typically flavored and colored, and used as a coating for cakes or cookies.
- The carton says: ‘Great for cakes, icings, biscuits, French toast, quiche, batters and coatings for baking or frying!’
- Powdery confectioners' sugar contains a small amount of starch, which is desirable in some products like icings and pastry creams but not desirable in brioche.
- Cakes covered with these relatively simple icings are often further decorated with the addition of glacé cherries, angelica, silver dragées, hundreds and thousands, etc.
2The formation of ice on an aircraft, ship, or other vehicle, or in an engine.
- Mixed ice is the most dangerous kind of airframe icing due to its weight and disruption to the airflow.
- Compared to the turbulence, the hail and the lightning, icing was the biggest threat of all.
- Signs of engine icing could include loss of power, abnormal or slow RPM response to throttle movement, and indications of engine surge or stall.
3 Ice Hockey US The action of shooting the puck from one’s own end of the rink to the other but not into the goal, for which the referee calls a face-off in one’s own end.
- I am 100% in favor of automatic icing when the puck crosses the red line without having to chase it down.
- The momentum bar shows which of the teams is on a roll and often reminds the opposing team that it might be time to dump the puck for an icing call just to relieve the pressure and momentum against them.
- The hockey has not been elegant - there were more icings in the third period of Game 3 than there are in an entire season of The Sopranos - but it has been effective.
the icing (or frosting) on the cake
- An attractive but inessential addition or enhancement: being a scientist is enjoyable, and winning a Nobel is icing on the cakeMore example sentences
- As just a little extra icing on the cake, they decided to change hosts during this process as well.
- Your Fortress response, Jody, was a helpful bit of frosting on the cake.
- The standard 1.8 litre motor is a little beauty and the addition of a turbo adds icing on the cake.
Words that rhyme with icingenticing
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.