Definition of idempotent in English:
Denoting an element of a set that is unchanged in value when multiplied or otherwise operated on by itself.
- Read his paper, On a conjecture of Littlewood and idempotent measures, American Journal of Mathematics 82, 191-212.
- We have already seen the addpath function, which performs an idempotent addition of a pathel to a pathvar.
- The purpose of addpath is to add a pathel (path element) to a pathvar (path variable) in an idempotent fashion.
nounBack to top
An idempotent element.
- Every left ideal is generated by an idempotent, and R is von neumann.
- Further, an idempotent is semiprimitive if it is central and if it cannot be expressed as u+v where u and v are central idempotents with uv = 0.
Definition of idempotent in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.