- 1Similar in every detail; exactly alike: four girls in identical green outfits the passage on the second floor was identical to the one belowMore example sentences
- For the final day, Torrance has picked an outfit identical to the one he wore while sinking that putt 17 years ago.
- It was otherwise identical to the other Pizza Express restaurants in every detail.
- To the untrained ear, the Wagnerian clarinet sounds almost identical to its more modern cousin.
- 1.1(Of twins) developed from a single fertilized ovum, and therefore of the same sex and usually very similar in appearance. Compare with fraternal ( sense 2).More example sentences
- Siamese twins are identical twins who develop with a single placenta from a single zygote.
- If one of a pair of identical twins develops leukaemia, in one out of four cases the other will also do so, within weeks or months.
- In his place now stands Cary, Grant's identical twin brother plus an extra hundred pounds.
- 1.2 [attributive] (Of something encountered on separate occasions) the same: she stole a suitcase from the identical station at which she had been arrested beforeMore example sentences
- The solicitor should not be exposed to two separate actions for the identical loss.
- Does a restaurant get three stars here only if the identical restaurant would get three stars in Paris?
- 2 Logic & Mathematics Expressing an identity: an identical propositionMore example sentences
- Two sets are said to be identical when for each element of the one set an identical element of the other set can be given.
- When the series terminates with the identical operation, G is said to be an integrable group; in the contrary case G is called non- integrable.
- More example sentences
- In this context names can clash even if they are not spelled identically - mere phonetic similarity is enough to bar a name.
- The signaling pathway is modeled identically in both the compartment and the cell.
- There was a guard at each of the gates, dressed identically in black uniforms.