Definition of ignominious in English:
Deserving or causing public disgrace or shame: no other party risked ignominious defeat
More example sentences
- The prospect of ignominious home defeat loomed ever larger with the passing minutes, until those dramatic closing stages turned the tide.
- Moreover, he ‘leads’ the team from ignominious to defeat to ignominious defeat.
- An early intervention by elements of the US 24th Division resulted in an ignominious defeat.
- Example sentences
- Still, it could be worse: as I wheel my bike ignominiously towards passport control, I find some consolation in the fact that my panniers are still firmly attached to my bike, and that there isn't a Winnebago in sight..
- When McArthur was, somewhat ignominiously, booted out of south-east Asia during world war two, his parting shot was ‘I'll be back.’
- In this instance, as with many others, the outrage was more than justified by the dismal result - Stallone's remake was swept ignominiously under the carpet and should be heading straight for a video store near you very soon.
Words that rhyme with ignominiousconsanguineous, Phineas, sanguineous
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.