Definition of ignore in English:
1Refuse to take notice of or acknowledge; disregard intentionally: he ignored her outraged question
More example sentences
- She has been sulking since she climbed out of the bed, ignoring me and refusing to answer my questions.
- The travellers have been issued with a court summons after they ignored an earlier removal notice.
- Sadly, despite complaints, Tesco takes no notice and continues to ignore the public.
disregard, take no notice of, pay no attention to, pay no heed to;
turn a blind eye to, turn a deaf ear to, tune out
informal give someone the brush-off, give someone the cold shoulder
set aside, pay no attention to, take no account of;
1.1Fail to consider (something significant): direct satellite broadcasting ignores national boundaries
More example sentences
- He failed to consider or ignored some important aspects of my evidence.
- Essex motorists are widely ignoring new rules banning the use of hand held mobiles in cars, figures released by police reveal.
- To accuse France and Germany of ignoring the rules is simply to repeat a slanderous allegation often put forward as fact.
- Example sentences
- Previously, an attack on a French ship or an attack on an Indonesian resort unfamiliar to Americans would be ignored in America as only part of the usual white noise playing in the eminently ignorable outside world.
- Still, this hardly puts enough of a blight on the play - if anything, MacDonnell is eminently ignorable - to stop me from recommending it unreservedly.
- Then there's the back-channel chatter among bloggers about one of our own that's crossed the line from ignorable to Orange-alert levels.
Words that rhyme with ignoreabhor, adore, afore, anymore, ashore, awe, bandore, Bangalore, before, boar, Boer, bore, caw, chore, claw, cocksure, comprador, cor, core, corps, craw, Delors, deplore, door, draw, drawer, evermore, explore, flaw, floor, for, forbore, fore, foresaw, forevermore, forswore, four, fourscore, furthermore, Gábor, galore, gnaw, gore, grantor, guarantor, guffaw, hard-core, Haugh, haw, hoar, implore, Indore, interwar, jaw, Johor, Lahore, law, lessor, lor, lore, macaw, man-o'-war, maw, mirador, mor, more, mortgagor, Mysore, nevermore, nor, oar, obligor, offshore, onshore, open-jaw, or, ore, outdoor, outwore, paw, poor, pore, pour, rapport, raw, roar, saw, scaur, score, senhor, señor, shaw, ship-to-shore, shop-floor, shore, signor, Singapore, snore, soar, softcore, sore, spore, store, straw, swore, Tagore, tau, taw, thaw, Thor, threescore, tor, tore, torr, trapdoor, tug-of-war, two-by-four, underfloor, underscore, war, warrantor, Waugh, whore, withdraw, wore, yaw, yore, your
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.