Definition of immune in English:
- People whose immune systems have fought the infection will then be immune to TB.
- Contracting the disease once does not render a person immune to future infections, which is why getting routine boosters is so important.
- In this way, vaccinations allow you to become immune to an infection without having the illness first.
- Nevertheless, if the worst happened, we would not be immune from the effects of such an attack.
- Royalty are not immune from their effects, as we have seen all too clearly.
- Commercial free speech is protected, but it is not immune from regulation.
- So maybe I'm not completely immune to those seasonal influences either…
- We could see their love and it rubbed off on us - or at least it rubbed off on those not so opposed to the man as to be immune to such influence.
- At the same time, the hype notwithstanding, large parts of the country remain immune to media influence.
- Rejection is the term applied to the natural immune response to foreign tissue.
- Vitamin C is necessary for collagen formation, proper immune function, and as a tissue antioxidant.
- Several studies have been undertaken using this natural immune modulator.
Late Middle English (in the sense 'free from (a liability)'): from Latin immunis 'exempt from public service or charge', from in- 'not' + munis 'ready for service'. Senses relating to physiological resistance date from the late 19th century.
Latin immunis ‘exempt from public service’ (literally ‘not ready for service’) is the source of immune and immunity. The early sense of immune was ‘free from (a liability)’ and this general meaning was common from the 15th to 17th centuries. The sense ‘able to resist infection’ dates from the late 19th century.
Words that rhyme with immuneafternoon, attune, autoimmune, baboon, balloon, bassoon, bestrewn, boon, Boone, bridoon, buffoon, Cameroon, Cancún, cardoon, cartoon, Changchun, cocoon, commune, croon, doubloon, dragoon, dune, festoon, galloon, goon, harpoon, hoon, importune, impugn, Irgun, jejune, June, Kowloon, lagoon, lampoon, loon, macaroon, maroon, monsoon, moon, Muldoon, noon, oppugn, picayune, platoon, poltroon, pontoon, poon, prune, puccoon, raccoon, Rangoon, ratoon, rigadoon, rune, saloon, Saskatoon, Sassoon, Scone, soon, spittoon, spoon, swoon, Troon, tune, tycoon, typhoon, Walloon
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.