Definition of impacted in English:
1chiefly Medicine Pressed firmly together, in particular.
- The impacted, partially air-filled material was seen in the distal esophagus.
- This maneuver adducts the fetal posterior shoulder in an attempt to rotate the shoulders out of the impacted position and into an oblique plane for delivery.
- Common examples of these latter disorders include disturbance of liver cell function by acute hepatitis and obstruction of the bile ducts by impacted gallstones.
1.1(Of a tooth) wedged between another tooth and the jaw.
- An impacted tooth is at higher risk of cavities because they are often difficult to clean properly.
- In the past, removal of impacted wisdom teeth has been recommended even if the patient has not been experiencing problems.
- People who have impacted wisdom teeth that are not causing problems do not need to have them removed.
1.2(Of a fractured bone) having the parts crushed together.
- Dr Johnson said this could be due to an impacted fracture, which did not always show up on x-rays, or a second fall.
- On closer inspection a radiologist's report confirmed an impacted fracture, but the report never reached Dr Blakeley.
- An impacted mutton bone was removed from the right pyriform fossa by hypopharyngoscopy under general anesthesia.
Definition of impacted in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan