Definition of imperfect in English:
1Not perfect; faulty or incomplete: an imperfect grasp of English
More example sentences
- It makes no sense in a machine world to limit the functionality of perfect components so that imperfect components don't wear out or break - certainly not if you can replace them.
- And thus, it had been the perfect end to the imperfect day.
- It's tough trying to be perfect in an imperfect world.
damaged, blemished, torn, broken, cracked, scratched
informal not up to snuff, not up to scratch, crummy, lousy
unpolished, unrefined, rough
2 Grammar (Of a tense) denoting a past action in progress but not completed at the time in question.
- Gee, was that an imperfect tense or an indicative?
- By his use of the Hebrew imperfect tense, the psalmist shows his present trust in God is based on past experiences of God's presence and help.
- In Spanish, Senora Montoya invited me into her classroom, boasting about my superior abilities to conjugate verbs in the imperfect tense the quickest in the class.
4 Law (Of a gift, title, etc.) transferred without all the necessary conditions or requirements being met.
- The claimant's evidence was that the purported but imperfect gift had been made a long time previously and not (as the letter said) after receipt of Mr Blake's letter.
- But the lessee's solicitors have been happy to be sitting there with this imperfect title for months.
- The donor, having by then changed his mind, declines to perfect the imperfect gift in favour of the intended donee.
noun(the imperfect) Grammar Back to top
The imperfect tense.
- Example sentences
- The point of departure for reform is always an idea or institution that is affirmed but considered to have been imperfectly or defectively realized.
- This was an important point because it meant that even apparently incomplete or imperfectly formed sentences could be understood by means of syntactic links.
- These people have abandoned their own religion as so much bunk, but have enthusiastically embraced Buddhism, which they imperfectly understand.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan