- 1Not able to occur, exist, or be done: a seemingly impossible task [with infinitive]: it was almost impossible to keep up with himMore example sentences
not possible, out of the question, unfeasible, impractical, impracticable, nonviable, unworkable; unthinkable, unimaginable, inconceivable, absurdunattainable, unachievable, unobtainable, unwinnable, hopeless, impractical, implausible, far-fetched, outrageous, preposterous, ridiculous, absurd, impracticable, unworkable, futile
- Drug use has become so widespread and accepted that it is impossible to enforce existing laws.
- Representing such a lifetime's work on a single disc is a near impossible task.
- Synthesising all of the various glycoforms in the laboratory would be an almost impossible task.
- 1.1Very difficult to deal with: she was in an impossible situationMore example sentences
- Those of you in that impossible situation have all my empathy, and best wishes for a happy resolution.
- Clergy and parents are being put through impossible situations each and every year.
- He added it would put people from Pool in an impossible situation.
- 1.2 • informal (Of a person) very unreasonable: “Impossible woman!” the doctor complainedMore example sentences
- He was confusing enough when he was alive but now, when he's dead, he's impossible.
Middle English: from Old French, or from Latin impossibilis, from in- 'not' + possibilis (see possible).