Definition of impotent in English:
1Unable to take effective action; helpless or powerless: he was seized with an impotent anger
More example sentences
- Yet it happened, and he felt helpless, powerless, and impotent.
- The end result is that we not only feel frightened - we often feel unable to respond, and feel powerless and impotent as individuals.
- Thus, they are impotent, powerless to confront the current regime.
2(Of a man) abnormally unable to achieve a sexual erection.
- He is impotent and unable to satisfy his estranged wife.
- Rumours of his extraordinary sexual powers spread and multiplied, though they were probably nonsense - there seems more evidence, indeed, to suggest that he was sexually impotent.
- He's not impotent or physically handicapped, he just isn't very interested and says there is more to a relationship than sex.
2.1(Of a male animal) unable to copulate.
- Example sentences
- ‘We raged impotently, wondering why this has happened to us, asking the usual questions of God and the universe,’ he writes.
- The state watches impotently as its culture, beamed in from the coasts, becomes coarser and more offensive by the year.
- In fantasy literature the availability of power is in inverse proportion to the daily lives of a typical teenager, hemmed in by school and family and impotently yearning for autonomy.
Pronunciation: /ˈimpəd(ə)n(t)lē/ /ˈimpətn(t)lē/adverb
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.