- The catalogue covers major painting movements from Realism to impressionism and Naive Art.
- Like impressionism, Art Nouveau was a rebellion against classical and traditional art.
- My fourth-graders had been studying painting periods such as Romanticism, impressionism, Post-Impressionism, Cubism, Abstractionism and Surrealism.
- Minimalist art is not a recognizable style like impressionism, but rather an art movement.
- The company produces limited edition fine art prints that are directly applied to textured canvas, with varying styles from abstract to impressionism.
- California artist Henri Plisson has moved beyond the boundaries of impressionism and into an era of 'emotional expressionism'.
- His formative student years were spent in Paris as a pupil of d' Indy at the Schola Cantorum, though he learnt more from the impressionism of Debussy and Ravel.
- The Prelude for Orchestra opens slowly in a way that reminds us, if nothing else, of musical impressionism's roots in Wagner.
- The score deftly combines Thai folk music and French impressionism in a rhapsodic manner.
The impressionist painters repudiated both the precise academic style and the emotional concerns of Romanticism, and their interest in objective representation, especially of landscape, was influenced by early photography. Impressionism met at first with suspicion and scorn, but soon became deeply influential. Its chief exponents included Monet, Renoir, Pissarro, Cézanne, Degas, and Sisley.
From French impressionnisme, from impressionniste, originally applied unfavorably with reference to Monet's painting Impression: Soleil levant (1872).
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of impressionism in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.