Definition of impressionist in English:
1 (also Impressionist) A painter, writer, or composer who is an exponent of impressionism.
- Under the influence of Edgar Degas and the other Impressionists the artist Mary Cassatt changed her painting style.
- With his good income as a stockbroker, Gauguin could afford to buy several paintings by Manet, Claude Monet, Auguste Renoir and other Impressionists.
- For some series he employs palettes derived from classic paintings by old masters or Impressionists.
adjectiveBack to top
Of or relating to impressionism or its exponents.
- After I married, he once loaned us his family's Manhattan co-op with its grand view of Central Park and collection of Impressionist paintings.
- Chelsea and Kensington are the other areas known for their home furnishings and antiques, the sort of place where you can snap up a Chippendale chair or Impressionist painting.
- It was a golden era, like Impressionist painting in France.
Definition of impressionist in:
- British & World English dictionary