1Present at a function or a place.
- Santa Claus was as usual in attendance with plenty of presents for the large number of children.
- There was a big crowd in attendance including present, past and future pupils of the school.
- An ambulance service and clinic, with doctor and nurse in attendance, are available.
present, here, there, at hand, available;
1.1Accompanying a member of royalty or the aristocracy in the capacity of an assistant or servant.
- The earl of Sussex was in attendance on the queen during her progress in September and October 1574.
- He is in attendance at important ceremonial occasions such as Trooping the Colour or the State Opening of Parliament.
- The Earl of Derby was in attendance upon Her Majesty.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.