Not in harmony or keeping with the surroundings or other aspects of something: the duffel coat looked incongruous with the black dress she wore underneath
More example sentences
- But this was all a tad incongruous in the surroundings of what looked like a converted garage.
- The spaghetti western mood was slightly dampened by an incongruous collection of artesania stalls in the square.
- Having lived among it in its homeland though, US culture suddenly seems strangely incongruous here.
out of place, out of keeping, inappropriate, unsuitable, unsuited;
wrong, strange, odd, curious, queer, absurd, bizarre
ill-matched, ill-assorted, mismatched, unharmonious, discordant, dissonant, conflicting, clashing, jarring, incompatible, different, dissimilar, contrasting, disparate
- Example sentences
- She looks something like a Dutch flower-piece, with bunches of roses and freesias tied with ribbons to her sheepcrook and to her straw sunhat, the pink braid around its rim looking incongruously like a halo.
- Hotels, a golf course, casinos and even a reconstructed medieval French cloister are incongruously scattered on its 277 hectares.
- This magnificent building lauded as a perfect example of Art Deco, though it strikes one as incongruously European, counter balances the architecture of the Fort.
Early 17th century: from Latin incongruus (from in- 'not' + congruus 'agreeing, suitable', from the verb congruere) + -ous.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.