Definition of incongruous in English:
Not in harmony or keeping with the surroundings or other aspects of something: the duffel coat looked incongruous with the black dress she wore underneath
More example sentences
- But this was all a tad incongruous in the surroundings of what looked like a converted garage.
- The spaghetti western mood was slightly dampened by an incongruous collection of artesania stalls in the square.
- Having lived among it in its homeland though, US culture suddenly seems strangely incongruous here.
ill-matched, ill-assorted, mismatched, unharmonious, discordant, dissonant, conflicting, clashing, jarring, incompatible, different, dissimilar, contrasting, disparate
- Example sentences
- She looks something like a Dutch flower-piece, with bunches of roses and freesias tied with ribbons to her sheepcrook and to her straw sunhat, the pink braid around its rim looking incongruously like a halo.
- Hotels, a golf course, casinos and even a reconstructed medieval French cloister are incongruously scattered on its 277 hectares.
- This magnificent building lauded as a perfect example of Art Deco, though it strikes one as incongruously European, counter balances the architecture of the Fort.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.