Definition of increment in English:
1An increase or addition, especially one of a series on a fixed scale: the inmates' pay can escalate in five-cent increments to a maximum of 90 cents an hour
More example sentences
- We need more troops in order to secure the region, and we then need an additional increment of non-American troops so we can begin to bring some of our men and women home.
- A lot of the controversies have been around what's the next step in standards - do we add an additional increment in such and so emission or do we add an additional type of emission to the suite of things we already regulate?
- During operation, the light guide is stepped across the tissue surface at a fixed increment, and fluorescence measurements are made from each discrete site.
1.1A regular increase in salary on an incremental scale: he had waived his right to the second increment of $18 million so that it could be distributed among 40 employees
More example sentences
- This means, however, that the mother may lose not only her proficiency in her job, but also the regular salary increments that go along with normal performance.
- The second round of talks on the annual wage and salary increments ended unresolved over the overtime issue.
- As private sector workers they are not legally entitled to automatic increments in base salary.
1.2 Mathematics A small positive or negative change in a variable quantity or function.
- We estimated meal size from the sum of positive mass increments recorded between weighings.
- But it does have an increment and decrement function, and primitive flow control.
- If the hazard ratio is larger than one, then an increment increase in the variable causes an increase in the risk of predation.
verb[with object] chiefly Computing Back to top
Cause a discrete increase in (a numerical quantity).
- The average person would think Intel would just increment the family code.
- Increment a pixel's stencil value every time the pixel is written.
- According to Macrovision, it "wakes up" every so often and increments counters in some of the product files.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan