Definition of indehiscent in English:
(Of a pod or fruit) not splitting open to release the seeds when ripe.
- It appears that the dehiscent and indehiscent forms do not belong to separate species, rather dehiscence is segregating within populations.
- Despite this distribution, dehiscence does not occur in two sets: when the flower opens usually only one or two stamens are fertile, the others being short and indehiscent; these gradually elongate and open.
- He observed that only pulpy, but indehiscent, fruits with a juicy, sweet flesh produce ethanol when becoming overripe.
- Example sentences
- Research is also in progress to obtain indehiscence through mutations and also to splice the appropriate Cuphea genes into a conventional crop such as rape.
- Monroella and Petriea exhibit these features and by the development of indehiscence of the pod, the Huttonella subgenus subsequently arose.
- The tapetum degenerates earlier than usual, resulting in high pollen sterility, and anther indehiscence occurs when pollen stainability falls below 20 percent.
Definition of indehiscent in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan