- A system of government of one nation by another in which the governed people retain certain administrative, legal, and other powers.More example sentences
- This policy of indirect rule left local political arrangements and traditions largely intact.
- The Belgians administered the territory through indirect rule, building on the Tutsi-dominated aristocratic hierarchy.
- Empires always involve a mixture of direct and indirect rule.
More definitions of indirect ruleDefinition of indirect rule in:
- The British & World English dictionary