Definition of indole in English:
A crystalline organic compound with an unpleasant odor, present in coal tar and in feces.
- A heteroaromatic compound with fused benzene and pyrrole rings; chemical formula: C8H7N
- For instance, the substance indole, which comes from coal tar and animal feces, actually smells like jasmine at its detection threshold.
- The absorbance band is narrowest for 3-methyl indole in pentane.
- Members of the family produce latex, diverse iridoids, cardioglycosides, and various alkaloids (notably indole and steroid groups), sometimes cyanogenic, rarely saponiferous.
Mid 19th century: blend of indigo (because obtained artificially from indigo blue) and Latin oleum 'oil'.
Definition of indole in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.