formal or humorous
Definition of inebriate in English:
Pronunciation: /iˈnēbrēˌāt /[with object] (often as adjective inebriated)
Make (someone) drunk; intoxicate.
- The old man was not inebriated or hurt by a passing vehicle.
- The mud underfoot is fast becoming a river and various members of the crew are skidding and staggering across the car park, like inebriated Bambis.
- Two foreign tours later, my garden had become a cider-pond, surrounded by staggering inebriated wasps.
informal plastered, smashed, bombed, sloshed, sozzled, sauced, lubricated, well oiled, wrecked, juiced, blasted, stinko, blitzed, baked, half-cut, fried, gassed, polluted, tanked (up), soaked, out of one's head/skull, loaded, trashed, buzzed, befuddled, besotted, pickled, pixilated, canned, cockeyed, blotto, blind drunk, roaring drunk, dead drunk, punch-drunk, ripped, stewed, tight, the worse for wear, far gone, pie-eyed, three sheets to the wind
vulgar slang shit-faced
informal, dated in one's cups, merry
Pronunciation: /iˈnēbrēət /Back to top
- Philostratus in turn described Andros as a land of Cockaigne for inebriates.
- The Magistrates, believing that imprisonment would not reform the woman, decided to send her to an inebriates' home for two years.
- It was more like a soccer match attended by a club of misanthropic inebriates.
Pronunciation: /-brē-it /Back to top
late Middle English (as an adjective): from Latin inebriatus, past participle of inebriare 'intoxicate' (based on ebrius 'drunk').
- Example sentences
- It is tolerable only in advanced states of inebriety.
- Although it was by now only 2.30 in the afternoon, I took refuge in ‘The Parkville’ where the atmosphere of inebriety resembled closing-time.
- The American Association for the Cure of Inebriates promoted the concept of inebriety as a hereditary disease exacerbated by chronic debauchery.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India